Home / Areas of Practice / Federal Tort Claims Attorney (FTCA)

Anchorage Federal Tort Claims Act Attorneys Assert Clients’ Rights

Dillon & Findley fights for patients in cases against the federal government alleging medical malpractice

Taking on the federal government is a difficult task. If you’ve suffered harm on a U.S. property or at the hands of a federal employee, you do have options. Dillon & Findley, P.C. is an established Alaska law firm that is ready to help. As personal injury and medical malpractice lawyers, we know the procedure for suing the federal government under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). An Alaska FTCA attorney at our firm can explain your rights and advise you on how to proceed. If you have a case for personal injury or medical malpractice against a federal agency, we have the skill and resources to level the playing field and fight successfully for the compensation you deserve.

What is the Federal Tort Claims Act?

What if you receive care at Alaska Native Medical Center that injures you or your family? What if you are a veteran receiving treatment at a government healthcare facility and the provider makes a mistake that harms you? What do you do if an active duty soldier or family member is hurt by the care of military doctors? The principle of sovereign immunity means that suing the government is not the same as taking on a private defendant.  There are more restrictions and special rules; however, there is an avenue for holding providers responsible. Congress passed the Federal Tort Claims Act in 1946 as a limited waiver of sovereign immunity, allowing injured citizens to sue for relief for most types of injuries and wrongful deaths caused by negligence. The FTCA grants the federal court jurisdiction over such disputes, but applies the law of the state where the case takes place. Our medical malpractice attorneys are well versed in the requirements of the FTCA and have proven successful in federal court.

Dedicated advocates litigate medical malpractice claims under the FTCA

Alaska has many federally supported health centers run by the Health Resources and Services Administration, Indian Health Service, or the Veterans Benefits Administration of the U.S. government. These facilities are designed to provide treatment for the underserved populations throughout Alaska:

  • Maniilaq Health Center, Kotzebue
  • Norton Sound Regional Hospital, Nome
  • Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation (YKHC), Bethel
  • Alaska Native Medical Center, Anchorage
  • Anchorage Neighborhood Health, Anchorage
  • Anchorage VA Medical Center, Anchorage
  • Hospitals on Base
  • Tanana Health Center / Tanana Chiefs Conference, Fairbanks
  • Village Clinics

It is complicated to know if a provider or facility is covered by the FTCA.  That is why you need experienced lawyers to sort out these issues.

If you have suffered from medical malpractice caused by a provide who is covered by the FTCA, you cannot sue that provider directly. That is also true of the facility. Instead, you have to file your claim administratively against the U.S. government before you are allowed to file a lawsuit. For this reason, you should seek assistance from an Alaska medical malpractice lawyer with FTCA claim experience. Our law firm has been litigating these cases for decades. We are not intimidated by the resources that the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Justice dedicate to defending these claims. We’re fighting for you and we’re determined to prevail.

Contact an accomplished Federal Tort Claims Act attorney in Alaska for a consultation

Dillon & Findley, P.C. represents injured clients throughout Alaska in FTCA claims against the U.S. government. Our office is located in downtown Anchorage near the U.S. District Court, Alaska Supreme Court and Alaska Superior Court. Call us today at 907-277-5400 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.